I recently stepped away from an amazing team and a great career. A long-term whisper in my head was now a full-throated voice. It said:
- I want to make a difference.
- I want to create more impact.
- There’s something more to do.
- I want to do work that has meaning and purpose.
- I want to wake up and live my passion.
I ignored the voice for the longest time – it sounded self-centered. I’m also very practical and structured… so it was hard to visualize what I was running to. It no longer mattered… the voice convinced me to make a change… and I resigned.
A couple weeks later, I had coffee with my daughter. Lauryn asked me what I wanted in my next career. The words that came out of my mouth were not the ones that had encouraged me to make a change. They had a completely different tone and depth. I said…
- I want to grow… and be trusted with a challenge.
- I want to hear someone say, “I believe in you”.
- I want to know what I do matters to someone.
- I want to belong.
- I want to be appreciated for just being me.
Lauryn’s simple head nod said it all – “Dad, we all want that.”
And there is your challenge for this week…
- Trust yourself with a challenge that makes your grow
- Encourage someone with “I believe in you”
- Tell the janitor how nice it is to work in such a clean place
- Sit with others and listen
- Accept the person next to you for their uniqueness.
There are all sorts of ways we can “make a difference” and “have meaning”. Being present and acknowledging the value in others is one of the best. Create the culture you seek.